11/7/12

Texture Tuesday {enlightened}

Ohmygosh.... I'm a day late.  Alrighty then, let's combine two posts in one, shall we!?


We don't see things the way they are, we see things the way WE are. 

                                                                                               ~ Anais Nin


Texture: Paper 4 by Kim Klassen

While out with old friends one night, I received a compliment that caught me off guard. She was the pretty, popular girl in school. The one every girl wanted to be and every boy wanted to date. You know the one.  Over the past couple years, I haven't felt particularly good about myself and as usual I've been a little ....ok, very  hard on myself. For no reason at all, this old friend came up to me and out of the blue said, "I’ve been looking at your pictures on facebook and I want your family. I just wanted you to know that you inspire me."


I did a double take. Did I hear her right? Did she get me mixed up with someone else? I was flabbergasted. I was so touched at this beautiful compliment. I have never considered myself someone to aspire to be, if anything the tables should be turned. This girl is an overachiever in every sense of the word. She works hard and is incredibly loving and sweet to everyone she comes into contact with, yet she was inspired by me. What a humbling experience.

So often we are overly critical of ourselves. We set high (sometimes out of reach) expectations, and when we fall short of the unachievable we feel we've failed. This couldn't be further from the truth, but somehow we convince ourselves of it anyway.

If we could take only a moment to see ourselves through the eyes of those around us, I think we would be amazed at what we'd find. There are so many people that are constantly looking up to you. They see how hard you are trying and they see your successes, even when you fail to recognize them. As a mother you are doing something admirable. You are raising the children of a rising generation. So the next time you start feeling a little down on yourself, take a moment to remember those around you, who are looking up to you for the incredible job you are doing. Take a moment to see yourself through other's eyes. You might be surprised at what you find.

Photobucket
 
 
kimklassencafe
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this BEautimous photo and your thoughty and heartfelt words. I think it would BE just amazing to stand outside myself and see what it looks like "from there."

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...