10/14/12

First 5k ~ Check!

I ran my first 5k last weekend with my daughter, and I can't believe I waited this long to ever run an actual race! 



The Color Run is a 5K where at each kilometer a different color powder/paint is tossed on you, with a giant color festival at the end. The idea is really cool, and I was really exited to do it.

The skies were overcast and the temperature was about 40 degrees.  (Boo!)

Before

I've been running anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 miles 2 - 3 times a week.  I knew I wasn't as ready as I could've been.  The starting line was daunting, but energetic.  Once the race began, the herd mentally got me going and I ended up pushing harder.  We were doing great!  Then the last kilometer was on a hill that was so steep I would've been more successful crawling on all fours.  Many of the runners pooped out.  Not us, we powered through and surrendered to walk after.  Walked for about 30 seconds, then running again.  After all, you simply must run through the finish line!  Am I right!?

Up, up, up I go, passing others who had surrendered to walking.  I see the finish line and I get a surge of adrenaline ...and green color!  This was it!  I somehow manage to sprint through the finish line???  I Did It!


After

I'm super happy to say I (we) ran almost the entire race.  I am incredibly proud of myself and my daughter.
Thank you so very much to my family for encouraging me to do something completely outside my comfort zone!  I didn't hate it and may just do it again.

Color Runners take over downtown Lawrence, KS

After the race someone asked me, "What did you get out of it?" 

Pride.  Accomplishment.  Motivation.  Self worth.  Exhaustion.

And I'm ready to do it again!

I hope I showed my kids that you can do anything if you believe in yourself & work hard.


Finish Line Color Festival

It really was a Blast, I hope to do it again. If you're even considering a 5k, sign up!  The feeling of crossing that finish line was like none other, and if I can do this, so can you.

The very bestest part was doing it with my daughter.  I loved spending the day with her, working together to achieve one goal....to get to that finish line without passing out!  She pushed me, and encouraged me, and I LOVE that kid!  When her head's not buried in her phone she's pretty great!

Celebration Smiles

It's all about enjoying what you do.  If you don't enjoy it, you're not going to do it.

So start with a fun run and go from there.  I used Run Locator to search for 5k's near me.

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I plan to do this yr when they hold it in our city! I am so excited about it.

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...