9/12/12

Smile A Little Smile For Me

School pictures. I dread them.  Every year I'm faced with paying a lot of money for school pictures that are unfailingly not worth a dime.  The backgrounds are boring and ugly.  The smiles are fake, and the kids don't look normal at all.  The thing that bothers me the most is that I'm forced to buy packages with sizes I don't want or need. 

Well that's just silly.

So I tried doing it myself, and I've been doing it ever since.  I actually enjoy the time with my kids.  Saving money and getting better pictures is pretty good too!

Here's How:

1.  Equipment:  It's best to use a good digital camera.  If you don't have one, either borrow or buy one.  You'll be glad you did. 

2.  Location:  I love taking pictures outside.  You can always find a unique backdrop and the natural light eliminates the need for a flash.


3.  Experiment:  Try different poses, locations and settings.  Have fun, it will make for some interesting, unique, and enjoyable keepsakes.

4.  Style:  Agree on an outfit and hair style.  Let the kids choose an outfit.  Then, tweak it a bit if necessary.  Remember, if they're not happy, it will show.  


5.  Take the pictures:  Talk to them, make jokes, or tell a funny story and you're more likely to get more natural expressions.  Let the kids get in on the action!  Give them the camera and let them take some pictures.  It's fun!

6.  Print:  You may either print the pictures at home or have them printed somewhere.  Use good quality photo paper.


Why do I do this?  Well, besides enjoying time with my kids, I like to save money...it makes me feel like the prize in the Cracker Jack box.  Let's compare prices, shall we?  Lifetouch, the company that does my kids' school pictures, offered two 2"x3" and four 1.5"x2.5" photos for $9.00 as it's the least expensive package.  For $9.99, at a local retailer, I can get twenty 4"x6" photos, three 5"x7 photos, three 8"x10" and 20 wallet size. 


What You'll Need

~ Time:  Approximately 1 hour with your kids plus 1 - 4 days to receive prints
~ Digital Camera
~ Tripod (optional)
~ Computer with photo editing software
~ Your kids

It's your turn.
Go.
Enjoy yourself.

And hey, if you mess up, that's what the delete button is for....Do it Again!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Great post! I soooo agree when it comes to awkward pictures at school. They put you in an uncomfortable posture and tilt your head just far enough to look like you're only half-bothered by the photographers hands grazing your cheeks. But we won't go there.... LOL

    Great pics and beautiful kids! ;)

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...