10/10/11

It can happen...


Photo by {CarLee}
Over the weekend, our good friends lost their son in an ATV accident. I’ve known the family for as long as I’ve been with my husband. He’s known them for much longer. We’ve seen this family through graduations, weddings, children, good times and not so good times. I feel like anything I say or do isn’t going to help in any way. I mean, come on, one day you get up and go about your day only to never talk to, hug, or laugh with your son again. No amount of food or pretty card is going to comfort them.

There are very few things in life that are harder to face than the sudden death of someone you care about. Whether it's a friend, a sibling, or even someone you just sort of know, the loss of their life can make you feel like you have an enormous hole inside yourself.

There's a lot that goes on in your mind, body and heart when someone close to you dies.  Grief is a weird thing - it affects people differently. Some people grieve by wanting to take care of everybody else and make everybody else feel better. Some people just act completely crazy. Some people get caught up in thinking, "Why didn't it happen to me?"

I think I’ve figured out why I’ve been keeping quietly to myself the past couple days:
The shock of seeing that it actually can happen to someone close to you can make you feel pretty vulnerable yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! How very sad. We ride often. It is always sad to hear of someone passing away. These stories always hit close to home. Praying for their family and you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how sad. I'm so sorry for their loss and for yours . . . take care {hugs}

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...