10/27/11

All you can eat

Soup!

errr uuugh, diet. 

I honestly don't like that word, diet.  I'm going to call it  nutritional therapy,yeah, that's it.

Ok, so I'm willing to admit that over the past year I've gained 10...ehem...12 pounds.  I've always been little and thin with a few ups & downs like anyone.  This time it seems to be different though.  It used to be if I gained a few pounds I could exercise more and eat less, or just ate better.  Not this time.  Nope.  I've tried eating clean, running, boot camp, I even joined a gym.  Haven't been much needless to say.  *jill hangs head in shame*

 

I've decided, for myself, that this is not the way I want to look or feel...I feel mushy and puffy....and I don't like it.

So.

Here's my plan.  I went through my box of recipe's and found this soup recipe.  It's dated November of 2002.  I believe it's from an article in Good Housekeeping Magazine.  Anyway, it's a great basic soup even if you're not on a diet.  It's only 40 calories per cup and YUM - ME.  You can make a huge pot of the basic soup and add goodies as you go.  For example, today I'm having just the basic soup for lunch.  You can add some chicken, or chicken and rice or noodles, mushrooms and low fat smoked sausage, white beans with basil and oregano.  The possibilities are endless.  Honestly though, it's good just the way it is.  My daughter, who wont eat veggies, it's like the plague, ate a whole bowl full for lunch yesterday!  Now if I can just get my son to eat it we'll be good to go!

"Will you join me in a bowl of soup?"  "Is it big enough for the both of us?" 

Ok, Ok...let's make some soup.


Here's what you need:

5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
3 medium celery stalks, sliced
3 large onions, chopped, or 3 medium leeks, each cut into 1-inch slices
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 cans (28 ounces each) tomatoes in juice
1 small head Savoy cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
2 packages (5 ounces each) baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 chicken-flavor bouillon cubes or envelopes (substitute vegetable broth and less water if you don't want meat flavor)
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
12 cups water (minus vegetable broth if you are doing the "no meat" thing)


1. Coat 8-quart sauce pot with non-stick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes.


2. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Add cabbage, remaining ingredients, and 12 cups water. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.


3. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, or until vegetables become tender. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Makes about 25 cups.



I loaded up my freezer, no excuses!



You can eat ALL the soup you want whenever you want while eating healthy balanced meals for breakfast and lunch. Eat soup for dinner with added lean meat or have soup along with a light healthy dinner. Have fruit or the soup for snacks. Supposed to help you lose 5 lbs. the first week (if you eat 300 calories for breakfast and 400 calories for lunch) and then 1-2 lbs. a week after that.  You could be 10 pounds lighter!

2 comments:

  1. kind of complicated,and I have never thought that they can be pickled that way..do they spicy..haha looove
    romwe streetfashion blog,pay a visit?kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a lot like what's called '0' point soup by Weight Watchers... you can eat 'all' you want... it is good!

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...