6/23/10

For my daughter on her 13th birthday

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." ~Dr. Seuss


It's hard for me to believe that at 3:09 this afternoon you'll have been on this earth a whopping 13 years.

Do I feel old? Sure. Well ...sometimes.

How do You feel?

With the so-called terrible teens now upon us. I sometimes wonder what lies ahead and if I've done a very good job. I've made some mistakes. Big ones. And I'm gonna make more, trust me.

People always say that you look like me, but you act like me too. Don't listen to them: You act like you. You look like you. You BE you. "Believe in You!" Yes, it's a tired little homily, but it's me giving you some good advice (for once). Treat others as you would like to be treated. You are truly an amazing gift & one I'm truly thankful for.

There. I'm done. Sure, I could go on about sunscreen, and girly stuff (eeks!), exercise and eating habits. I could go on and on about boys and why they have to be told to put the toilet seat down and the top to the car up. And that no matter how hard you try not to, you are going to fall in love one day and someone is going to break your heart. But you'll find all that out anyway, whether I tell you or not.
It's a great ride, sweetheart. Even the bumpy parts. So get out there and don't miss a minute of it.

Happy 13th Birthday!
I Love YOU, more & more each day & year!
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always nice to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...